Saturday, April 08, 2006

Passion

Last night Nadine and I had a date night. For years we have been careful to regularly put time aside just for us. Last night was one of those nights. A new movie just came out titled “Take the Lead” staring Antonio Banderas. My wife has loved Antonio Banderas ever since his first Zorro movie! To make things even better (for her) this movie had dancing in it, ballroom dancing. Nadine loves dance. She studied ballet for 9 years as a child and dancing (disco – am I dating myself?) was a significant part of our courtship.

So, are you getting the picture here? This was a Major chick flick! I went to this movie as an expression of my love for my wife. Hey, I’m a real man, I can sacrifice $15.50 and 2 hours of my life for the woman I love. What I didn’t expect was the way it would impact me.

Now don’t get me wrong, this wasn’t a great movie and I doubt it will find itself in contention at Oscar time. But half way through the movie sometime was stirred within me. Much to my surprise I cried through the second half of the movie, I cried walking through the parking lot to my car and I really cried once in the safety of my tinted windows hidden from the throngs of exiting movie goers.

Dancing is creative, it’s romantic, it’s sensual and it’s passionate. Banderas tells his students in the movie that dancing is two people, a man and a woman moving as one. For weeks now the Lord has been revealing to me the love the Bridegroom has for the Bride. It’s another expression of God’s love for us. The passion between husband and wife is different than the love between Father and son. As a father I comprehend the paternal love of God for me. Lately he has been revealing a much more intimate and passionate side of His love. The love the Bridegroom has for the Bride.

Half way through the movie the combination of sights, sounds and inspiration touched something deep within my heart, passion. It was powerful and frightening. I suddenly realized that I’ve allowed myself to taste but a tickle of His passionate love when there is a vast reservoir available and ready to burst forth. I felt like the proverbial boy with his finger in the dike. While sitting there I decide to allow myself to feel the feelings, let them come up and not restrain them, control them or push them aside. As I did I caught a glimpse of the rich depth of God’s love. It was vast and deep and powerful, able to do the even the most impossible. What happens if I completely remove my finger from the dam? Dare I let go completely? Why not!

Still feeling the feelings as I write, no doubt there is much more to be revealed.

© Tom Zawacki 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment