Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Wild at Heart


A few years ago an old friend sent me a copy of John Eldredge’s “Wild at Heart”. Eldredge’s insights into the heart of a man (and some women) resonated within me. It quickly became a favorite read. Recently my wife & I have been taking turns reading Wild at Heart to one another just before going to sleep. It’s has been a blast. I especially enjoy our dialogue when a section touches one of us.

Last night I was reading page 48 where Eldredge posses the question “WHAT IS A MAN FOR?” He writes and I quote:

“Why does God create Adam? What is man for? If you know what something is designed to do, then you know its purpose in life. A retriever loves the water; a lion loves the hunt; a hawk love to soar. It’s what they’re made for. Desire reveals design, and design reveals destiny.”

Desire reveals design, and design reveals destiny… hmmm.

I’ve been a Christian for over 30 years, I’ve lost count of how many times someone has asked me “What has God called me to do”? Could it be that Eldredge has given us a key to unlock this mystery? I think yes. Everyone I know would like to fulfill their destiny, I know I surely would! Could it be that God created us with a built in homing device to lead us to it?

Beginning from a place of Godliness…

What are you passionate about? What excites you? What are you eager to do even when you’re exhausted? What fire within you is continually burning? What would you be willing to do even if you never got paid to do it? Answer those questions and you’ll discover your desires. Design and Destiny were created to follow.

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. One aspect of that freedom is passion. The church has effectively told passion that it is bad, disorderly, messy and unsafe. Then proceeded to locked it away in a closet and threw the key away. Is it any wonder so many Christians are clueless concerning their destiny? Their God given homing device has been disconnected!

Godly passion freely expressed is one of the truest signs of freedom. Godly passion suppressed is one of the truest signs of bondage.

So my friends, I dare you… find that closet, rip off its locks, throw the key away, open the door and let light once again shine upon your passions. I dare you to take the risk, go ahead and be messy. In the process you’re sure to have some fun and who knows, you just might discover your destiny.

© Tom Zawacki 2006

1 comment:

  1. Honey you inspire me with your passions. I am enjoying reading this book so much with you. I love you new freedom quote today. May we always soar together towards are destiny. With all my love, Nadine

    ReplyDelete