Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Freedom from Circumstances

“…I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation… I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:12-13

Two years ago, when I was diagnosed with a medically incurable form of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, my wife and I devised and embraced a personal credo. Together we agreed to:

Enjoy the Good Days
Endure the Bad Days
And Just Keep Going Forward

Although cancer was now a part of my life I did not want it to define my life nor control it. This personal philosophy has helped to keep cancer from taking over our world.

With the help, love and prayers of many loving friends we have endured some pretty bad days and we have continued going forward. To all of you, from the bottom of my heart… thank you!

I’m not there yet but I want to learn, like Saint Paul, to be content in any and every situation. I desire a life of internal peace that is independent of and invulnerable to external circumstances.

Whole heartedly I believe that the freedom Christ won for us provides a life in the Spirit that is not dictated by the body or the soul. Rather the fullness of freedom is found only when the body and soul are subject to the Spirit. Therefore, I really can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. My spirit can soar even when my body can not or my soul will not. Herein lies the secret to overcoming the bad days… but this is not a bad day.

Yesterday was a very good day among a string of very good days and I’m learning to thoroughly enjoy them. Presently, I am enjoying a season of life where I have favor with God and with men and it is wonderful. (Click here for a couple of excellent posts by Madison Richards on the topic of favor & timing.)

Proverbs 16:7 says that

“When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him.”

Cancer has been my enemy and for now, we are living in peace. Yesterday my Oncologist read to me the findings of my latest PET scan… “I see no evidence of recurrent lymphoma” Now that’s good news!

Heavenly Father, thank your for your goodness, your kindness and your favor. Thank you for loving friends and for an amazing wife. Thank you for the grace to keep going forward. Thank you for the grace to endure the bad days and thank you for this very good day!

© Tom Zawacki 2007

Art Credit: “Freedom” by Randy Elrod

7 comments:

  1. You are an amazing husband and I love you with my whole heart. I trust that the Lord has us in His capable hands.

    There is no one else on earth I rather spend the good or even the bad days with.

    Forever yours,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an inspireing story thank you for shareing. To be so secure in life and to know that God is in total control is what I am still learning every day Bless you.
    Billie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:56 PM

    Amen. I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all rejoicing with you! Congratulations...

    And when the bad days come, we will endure with you...

    And we WILL keep moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know your blog from your dear wife Nadine's blog and I am very touched with your story and your beautiful take on life. Taking the good with the bad and learning to dance in the rain inspires me. However, it sounds like all the praying is making head way with your cancer and I really do believe it can just disappear like a vapor. My prayers are with you and let's hope we see just a plain out miracle too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the example of courage and freedom you spill from your life on to mine. You and Nadine do a lot of glorious splashing. I am blessed to catch the sprinkles.

    Joh 7:38 Rivers of living water will brim and spill out of the depths of anyone who believes in me this way

    ReplyDelete