Thursday, June 28, 2007

Not My Own

There’s a sentence that bridges verses 19 and 20 of 1 Corinthians 6, I quote:

“You are not your own; you were bought at a price.”

Often this verse comes to mind and I’m left with the stark realization that… it’s not about me. My life is not about me. This changes things. It changes how I think. It changes how I feel. It changes what I do, why I do it and how. It alters my decision making process. No longer am I to make decisions based on what I want but on what He wants; He, the one who paid the price to purchase my life.

It’s wasn’t much of a deal, really. I was a mess, broken beyond usefulness, headed for destruction and He rescued me from the junk heap. He restored my soul. Of course I will serve Him, I love Him. All I have is His because I wouldn’t be without Him. Now I ask new questions…

Lord, what do you want?

Lord, what will bring you pleasure today?

Lord, where do you want to go?

Lord, who do you want to touch today?

Lord, what are you doing and can I join you?

Truly, I am not my own and it has set me free, how about you?

© Tom Zawacki 2007

(PS. Don’t you just love that picture? Dad does good work, don’t you think? Art credit unknown)

6 comments:

  1. True freedom always exists in Him. Thank you for the reminder. I love that picture by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:45 PM

    Great post and picture. Thanks for the reminder, I needed that today.

    Whenever I lead worship, I ask God 2 questions, what do You want, and what do Your people need? This helps me now to get focused on how it feels for me.

    Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:16 AM

    Beautiful picture, provoking thoughts... bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad DOES do good work... amazing work...

    Think He'd be willing to teach us the trade??

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA, ever seen "the lake house?"

    ...that picture looks just like it...interesting. you should watch it!!

    -I myself have been coming to the same realization...and my life is not my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the picture... it reminds me of the one from Cousin's.

    These words are good... freeing to read.

    Love you Tom!

    - Jess <><

    ReplyDelete