Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Pride is a Prison

This past Sunday my assistant Jenn filled our pulpit for the first time. Her topic was humility and she did a fantastic job. Jenn’s compassionate manner made her difficult message easy to receive. The old saying is true, “a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down”.

Since Sunday I’ve been thinking, there is great freedom in humility while pride is a prison. Over the years pride has locked me into mindsets, opinions and theologies that have separated, isolated and insulated me from others. On the other hand, humility has released me into a universe of unimaginable possibilities, creativity, experiences and relationships.

“God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” James 4:6

Pride confines me within the opposition of God while humility affords me access to the limitless options available in God’s grace. Pride divides me from people, from organizations and from cultures. Humility puts out the welcome mat to my heart.

Some may say that this type of humility is too risky, leaving us too vulnerable. Hmmm, I wonder, isn’t the greater risk never risking at all? Isn’t that really just fear? And if we look closer, won’t we discover that it’s roots are deeply imbedded in pride. I believe we will and they are.

Jenn, thank you for challenging me. Father, thank you for truth that is setting me free. May I… may we… discover the fullness of freedom accessible in humility.

© Tom Zawacki 2007

6 comments:

  1. One of the most often misquoted verses is Proverbs 16:18. A fall is bad enough -- but destruction -- whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome...i agree, Jenn did a fantastic job on Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the line - Humility puts out the welcome mat to my heart. This is a wonderful reminder for staying humble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:24 PM

    Good insights from you and from Jenn. Glad she took the opportunity to share and bless the church. I enjoyed hearing from Ann too. Wise women!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:57 PM

    i loved hearing Ann and Jenn speak last Sunday :) i hope they will be able to do it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah...pretty cool chicks

    ReplyDelete