Friday, September 28, 2007

Stuck in My Head

Sometimes someone tells you something and it sticks with you, it really sticks with you. A close friend called me a few days ago and mentioned a verse from John chapter five.

Jesus responding to his detractors says… "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does" John 5:19.

It’s been stuck in my head ever since.

Like most everyone I know, I’m a busy guy. My Tungsten E Palm is filled with appointments, I’ve got 28 items on a to-do list, I can barely see the top of my artificial wood grained six foot by three foot desk and my inbox has 22 emails. Managing my schedule has required that I prioritize. Long ago I decided that…

~ People trump things
~ My kids trump people
~ My wife trumps my kids and
~ God trumps everything

I agree with those priorities, I’ve taught them from my pulpit and counseled others to embrace them but… am I really living them? Does God truly trump everything? Jesus’ statement convicts me. How much of what I do is what I do? And how little of it is what the Father is doing? Ouch! I’m pretty sure that ache I’m experiencing in the middle of my chest isn’t heartburn, it’s conviction. Here are some of the questions that have been stuck in my head…

~ If Jesus could do nothing by himself, how much can I do by myself?

~ What is the Father doing?

~ Am I capable of seeing it?

~ What does it look like?

~ Am I willing to stop what I’m doing to do what the Father is doing?

~ Even if I can see what the Father is doing, do I have the faith, the courage and the guts to do it… whatever it is?

Hmmm…

© Tom Zawacki 2007

Art Credit “Contemplation” by Justin Black

5 comments:

  1. I love the picture. Great question, "Even if I can see what the Father is doing, do I have the faith, the courage and the guts to do it...whatever it is?"

    I hope my answer would be yes. Being willing is always the question isn't it. Thank you for a thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the questions scrolled across the page it helped to remind me why I am here. I must be about the Father's business and not my own agenda. Thanks for always speaking what's on your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:58 PM

    Great post... surely we shall not be satisfied until we awake in His likeness... Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a man who lives your priorities...So......

    As long as God trumps everything, theoretically you shouldn't have to worry about whether or not the things you're doing are Him or you, you simply have to worry about keeping your focus on Him... Then all other things will be added - see? it says it right in there!!

    Simple, right? (Ha Ha...ha ha ha)

    (we can always ask Him when we get there...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a gift for asking the right questions. I think that is so important. This is one of those things I want to catch.

    ReplyDelete