Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Passion & Conviction!


In my previous post I issued the challenge “What Will You Fight For!” coupling it with one of my all time favorite movie scenes from Mel Gibson’s Braveheart. Answering my own question “What Will I Fight For” left me with a pile of refuge I realized I am NOT willing to fight for.


One of the cable networks has been playing Gladiator repeatedly the past few days. I love that movie. It stirs passion within me at a very deep level.


Most movie quote websites prominently posted the revenge scene dialogue where the now Gladiator Maximus finally has his opportunity to stand face to face with Emperor Commodus the former friend who murdered his way to the throne including Maximus’ wife and young son. Removing his mask Maximus reveals his true identity to a stunned Emperor Commodus and says:


“My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true Emperor, Marcus Aurelius, Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. I will have my vengeance, in this life... or the next."


Powerful scene, but not my personal favorite, the picture at the top of this post is from an obscure scene earlier in the movie. Here the yet to be murdered Emperor Marcus Aurelius (played by Richard Harris) offers the Roman Empire to Maximus – and I love his reply.


Marcus Aurelius: You have proven your valor once again, Maximus. Let us hope for the last time.


Maximus: There is no one left to fight, sire.


Marcus Aurelius: There is always someone left to fight. How can I reward Rome's greatest general?


Maximus: Let me go home.


Marcus Aurelius: Ah, home.


Marcus Aurelius: Won't you accept this great honor that I have offered you?


Maximus: With all my heart, no.


Marcus Aurelius: Maximus that is why it must be you.


Like Maximus, I will NOT fight for fame, for fortune, for title, for position, for glory, for a worldly measure of success, to build my own kingdom, or any man’s kingdom. Oh God make me a man after your own heart. May your passion surge through my soul! May I have the passions and convictions of Wallace and Maximus until my final breathe – so be it.


© Tom Zawacki 2008

3 comments:

  1. This is another great movie with a man of honor, who will fight to the very end, even unto death, to defend what he believes is the truth. A man who is not only willing to lead but to be right there in the midst of the battle.

    Humm...sounds familiar to me.

    I love you.
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. "With all my heart, no..."

    Fantastic line.

    Fantastic character.

    Fantastic flipping of the world upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gladiator: A fantastic movie. I still remember clearly the experienc of first watching this in the cinema and then walking home...energized and amazed by the spectacle, the drama, and the characters I had just seen.
    I *do* remember the scene that you have summarized here. It was powerful....that kind of movie, that kind of dialogue, doesn't come along very often.

    Regards,
    Lavinia

    ReplyDelete