Monday, May 12, 2008

Live a Life Worthy



This afternoon, after church I made some lunch for Nadine and we caught the end of “Saving Private Ryan” on cable TV. That movie ALWAYS touches something deep inside of me, this time was no exception. By the end of the movie I was in tears - as usual.


I’ve posted two YouTube clips. The first one above is the movie’s final battle scene where a mortally wounded Captain John Miller tells Private James Ryan, with his dying breath, “Earn this…. Earn it” and he dies.





The next video clip (above) is of a much older James Ryan, with his family visiting the grave site of his former captain. Ryan turns to his wife and in desperation pleads “Tell me I’ve led a good life. Tell me I’m a good man”


For me this is when the tears flow, almost as if on cue. It gets me – deep – every time.


Countless times since I first saw this movie I have turned to my wife and asked her the very same questions the older Ryan asked of his wife. I need to know - I have to know!


I can’t help but consider St Paul’s words to the church at Ephesus as I watch these final scenes – they’re ringing in my ears …


“As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.” (Ephesians 4:1)


Hmmm… am I? Am I living a life worthy of the calling I have received? Am I living a life worthy of THE life that was sacrificed for me? Am I? Am I really? No, not today, not this day – some days… maybe, but not this day.


Forgive me Lord.


Lord, make of me a man, a real man. Give me heart, your passionate heart, Your Lion’s heart for the road ahead. One that will never quit, one that never back down, never roll over and never surrender to my enemy and yours. Instead make of me - just such a man who’ll stay on the field of battle until every last prisoner – be they man, woman or child, is set free and my mission is truly accomplished. Make me that kind of man – one wholly worthy of his calling… in Jesus name I make this request – amen!


© Tom Zawacki 2008

6 comments:

  1. I've said this before and I mean it each time I've said it:

    You're a good man. You're a very good man. I've walked beside you for over thirty years and you've led a good life.

    None of us are perfect (especially me), but you are perfect for me.

    I love you,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good man is not always defined the way he thinks he is.

    Listen to the ones who know you...deep...in the core. Listen to the one who knows all. You are a good man. You are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I balled on cue...oh you got me sobbing now :0)

    All we can do is the best we can do....

    Then when I finally cry Uncle, He reminds me about… 2Co 12:9 and then he told me, My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness. Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness.

    All I can do is just thank God daily for His intervention in my life! With out Him there is no way.

    I concur with the ladies above!
    You are a good man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a good man Tom. Your are fulfulling all that God has for you. I think, at times, we don't feel that we do enough....and that is just the point. There is nothing we can do. He has made us worthy, it's His life that counts in us...not our us. I learned this from someone very dear to me....You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That part gets to me as well. I often wonder that same thing. However I've come to the conclusion that living the life one was born to live is a life-choice that rears itself in little moments of choice.

    Good stuff. Provoking and examining as always. Keep your freedom martch going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam Biggar6:48 AM

    Thanks Tom... need that.

    ReplyDelete