Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Pain

About a month ago I was moving an extension ladder, placing it on the roof rack of my Ford Explorer. As I lifted it above my head I felt something pull in the middle of my back. Oh the joy of being in my mid forties. It has been bothering me ever since. Like most men, I thought if I ignored it long enough if would just go away by itself… alas, I was wrong. So, my wife graciously made an appointment for me to visit her chiropractor, he has been very helpful to her in the past.

I arrived on time for my appointment, filled out the obligatory paper work, was interviewed, examined and adjusted. The doctor made some adjustments realigning my back and hips, I immediately felt better. Unfortunately yesterday I was once again in pain, today it’s even worse. Actually, I’m in more pain now than before the office visit.

Hmm… so what profound lessons are there to be learned in all of this? Glad you asked. I’ve discovered that even when the needed adjustments are made to realignment my soul and spirit, there may be some residual pain. Change, even beneficial change isn’t pain free.

Pain let’s me know that further adjustments are needed, that more work needs to be done. What will I do with the pain? Well, I’ve already discovered that ignoring it doesn’t work (grin). I could medicate myself and mask the pain; however that will not resolve the cause of the pain and could actually allow me to cause greater damage.

Logically, the best course of action is to deal with the cause of the pain, resolve the real issue and strengthen the surrounding areas so as to prevent future injury. Easier said then done. The problem is that when I’m in pain I’m not very logical. In fact I’m usually emotional and all I want is for the pain to stop.

Lord, you know my heart. You know my pain. Come; adjust me until I’m aligned with your Spirit. I submit myself to your hands. Amen.

Jesus said, "I am the Bread of Life. The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever. John 6:35 The Message

Copyright © Tom Zawacki 2006

1 comment:

  1. ooooh. ouch. that's good stuff as usual. Thanks for the encouragement - you rock TZ!

    D-

    ReplyDelete