Sunday, April 30, 2006

Living by Faith

In Romans Chapter one Saint Paul quotes Habakkuk 2:4 stating that the just shall live by faith. The same verse is quoted in Paul’s letter to the Galatians and also in Hebrews. Assuming we are the justified ones, what does is mean to live by faith? What does it mean to have faith as a way of life?

The writer of Hebrews defines faith as “being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see”. The Greek word for “see” in Hebrews 11:1 is “blepo” and it means “to perceive by the senses”. So, a lifestyle of faith mean to live with a certainty that isn’t based upon what we can perceive naturally. Are you still with me? To live by faith means to live supernaturally.

We, the just were created to live by faith, by “pistis” in the Greek. Our life then is to be actions based upon a belief, sustain by confidence. I call that last sentence the abc’s of faith. Hmm… so how are you doing with that? Yeah, me neither.

Maybe it gotten too easy to rely upon the resources we have all around us to have to live by faith? Heck, I’ve got email and cell phones and computers and Wal-Mart’s just a few blocks away. How much faith do I really need to live by? In “A Man Called BlessedTed Dekker describes faith as jumping off a cliff, sounds about right to me. OK, now if I can just find a safe place to put my cell phone, palm pilot and laptop…

Well, I believe a day is close at hand when we will all be tested in this area. Maybe we should get into the practice of it now. I heard it said once, referring to 1 Cor. 3:12 – if all the hay word and stubble in our lives is going to be burned in the fire, why not just get rid of it all now… interesting thought. Employing that same logic, how about if we learn to live by faith now?

I once heard John Wimber say that living the Christian life was as easy and as difficult as this: “Listen & Obey” To the degree that I can listen to God and then obey what he says to do… to that degree I will be living by faith. Why don’t you practice doing that this week… listen and obey.

If you need help with the listening part check out Streams Ministries Institute for Spiritual Development 101 Course – “The Art of Hearing God”. It’s powerful class that has had a life changing impact upon me and my church. It's helped us build character and increased our ability to hear God when he speaks to us.

I leave you with one of my favorite John Wimber quotes:

"Faith is spelt RISK”

Copyright © Tom Zawacki 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment