Monday, October 16, 2006

The Freedom of Humility

Have you ever noticed that most people respond very well to humility and quite poorly to pride or arrogance? For example, who would you rather have on your team, Tom Brady or Terrell Owens?

I have watched people in both secular and church communities fight and claw their way to the top of their respective organization. Striving and fighting all the way, angry at the ones above them and fearful of those below. What a miserable existence.

Jesus said that whoever exalts himself will be humbled and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. I’ve told my congregation many times… humility is in your future, be proactive!

I find great, great freedom in humility. All I really need to do is stay close to Jesus, choose the low road and let him do as he pleases with my life. If he chooses to promote me or establish me, no one can steal it from me. If he chooses to keep me hidden, I’m blessed and protected. I don’t have to “make it happen” and that is extraordinarily freeing.

Two final thoughts…

Both Peter & James remind us that “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble”. You’ve never been opposed until you’ve been opposed by God. Why would anyone want to take the path of Divine opposition?

And finally… James writes that “where…selfish ambition exists, there is disorder and every evil thing”... every evil thing? Wow, why would I want to engage in any practice that makes room for and allows access of every evil thing? The more I consider it; humility is not only the logical choice, it truly is the path of greatest freedom.

Stay low my friends, stay low…

© Tom Zawacki 2006

2 comments:

  1. Honey, another great article. It's seems you're back in full force. I also love the new look of the page. You the greatest. With all my love, Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. y'all can take the high road... and I'll take the low... and we'll all be in heaven at the same time, I'm just not sure who I'll be sitting next to...

    ReplyDelete