Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Weeding My Garden


My adult son lives about three and a half hours away from us. I picked him up earlier today and took him back with me. He’s having a tonsillectomy in a couple of days and will be recuperating at home. The hours alone in the car were profitable. The popular words of Psalm 46:10 came to mind “Be still and know that I am God”.

Over the past year I have discovered again and again the value of being still before God. He delights to reveal himself to me in those quiet times. Sometimes the busyness of life gets the best of me and I allow myself to be robbed of this precious gift. The past few days have been very busy. It was nice to have the alone time in the car.

The miles brought clarity then conviction and finally peace. The Lord reminded me that I will reap what I sow. It’s a truth, a natural and spiritual law that is inescapable. If I sow carrot seeds - guess what, I get carrots. If I sow tomato seeds I’ll get tomatoes. I can’t expect to reap cherries if I sow radishes.

For me the application was clear… the way I treat others is the way I will be treated. If I sow anger, I will reap anger. If I sow mercy, I will reap mercy. If I sow pride, I will reap pride. If I sow humility, I will reap humility. If I sow grace, I will reap grace and if I sow love, I will reap love.

Father, Jesus said you are The Gardener. Gardener come, tend my garden. Plow my soil. Remove my weeds. Remove my thorns. Remove my stones. Change my crops to your crops until your fruit is borne in me, amen.

© Tom Zawacki 2006

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you look at life. Thanks for sharing it with me. I learn so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - WAY full of truth Tom. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete