Thursday, November 09, 2006

Fully Alive?

While searching the web I came across this quote by early church father and Bishop of Lyons St. Irenaeus “The glory of God is man fully alive”. No doubt Irenaeus had John 10:10 in mind…

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

What does it mean for me to be fully alive? What does it mean for me to have life to the full? If this is why Jesus came and it gives God glory, I’ve got to know the answers to these questions. John 10:10 has two sides, the death side and the life side. Which side am I living on? Do I even know the difference?

Well, the work of John Eldredge has been helpful. In his best selling Wild at Heart Eldredge writes that a life fully alive includes freedom, passion and adventure. I couldn’t agree more.

So the logical questions are… what am I passionate about? What adventure am I on? Where do I experience the greatest freedom? If I can answer these questions I’ll find the path to life. To be sure if freedom, passion and adventure are missing, the thief has been at work.

Time for a gut check…
Am I willing to pay the price? ...I have to.
Will there be pain on the adventure? ...There always has been.
Is passion risky? ...Oh yes, very, that’s what makes it exciting!
Is freedom expensive? ...It will cost me everything.
Is it worth it? ...Yes, absolutely yes!

Jesus thought so, enough to die for me.

Father, I want my life to glorify you. I truly want to live fully alive. Put to death in me that gravitational pull toward the safe side of faith. Increase the passion, freedom and adventure in my life. And with it, give me the courage, guts and boldness I’ll need for the journey. Let this be the day, amen.

© Tom Zawacki 2006

"In the cage there is food, not much, but there is food - outside are only great stretches of freedom."
Nicanor Parra

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom,

    Another great post!

    Sorry to be cliche, but your post reminded me of the quote from that awesome moment in Braveheart where William Wallace refuses the poison offered to him:

    Every man dies. Not every man really lives.

    May we be men who truly live, disembowellings and all!

    ~ Keith

    ReplyDelete