Friday, November 03, 2006

Uncle Ben Was Right


Like most Christians I was saddened to hear about Ted Haggard’s moral failure. As of this evening’s news reports he has admitted to purchasing methamphetamines and receiving massages from the male prostitute who has made the accusations against him. Though the timing of the accusations have a clear political motive, it seems that at least some of them are unfortunately true.

Mr. Haggard’s failure is the latest in a long line of ministers who have had very public falls from grace. These men represent almost every theological perspective and cross many denominational lines. This tells me that none of us are immune.

Promotion is a scary wonderful thing. Most of us work long and hard all our lives to be promoted. We celebrate when we finally reach our goal, that’s the wonderful part. The scary part is that the higher we go, the less grace we have. I’m reminded of Uncle Ben’s words to his nephew Peter Parker in Spiderman 1

“With great power comes great responsibility”

Promotion usually means an increase of influence. What we need to remember is that influence is a doubled edged sword; it can cut for good or for harm.

Lord give me grace, give Ted grace, make us holy, keep us humble… amen.

© Tom Zawacki 2006

2 comments:

  1. I've heard a smart once say - humility is in your future, be proactive. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you that I am so glad to see you living your faith in grace and humility. I am doubly glad to know you well enough to know that you take your own words seriously...no one is immune.

    I love you Bro, and am blessed to pray for you and the leadership, to remain faithful to all that you are called to be...no more and no less.

    ReplyDelete