Monday, November 06, 2006

Watch Your Step

I’m still pondering the connection between Freedom and Responsibility. Is it fair to say that one measure of a person’s character is how responsible they are with their freedom? Yes, I think it is a fair measure.

OK, here's the progression…

Step 1: I’m free to act
Step 2: I decide to act
Step 3: I act
Step 4: There is a reaction to my action
Step 5: I respond to the reaction

Step one is a reflection of my freedom. Steps two, three and five are reflections of my character. Step four is a reflection of another’s character.

If I’m free to act, the actions I take as well as the way I respond will reveal my character or the lack there of. If I’m irresponsible and exhibit poor character in steps two and three the price is high in steps four and five. However, if I’m responsible with my freedom and exhibit great character in steps two and three, the price is lower in step five. Step four may yet be out of my control.

So, do I want to pay now or pay later? I’m convinced that humility is the key to responsibility in freedom. In Luke 14:11Jesus put it this way:

“For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

If I exalt myself, my opinions, my desires, my preferences and my wants in steps two and three, you can bet that I’ll be eating humble pie by step five. However, if I choose the low road in steps two and three God’s grace will be with me and He will vindicate me if I’m worthy of vindication. At least that’s how I understand 1 Peter 5:5-6

“…All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.”

Lord, make me wiser. Give me wisdom. Give me eyes that see step five from step one. Make me holy. Make me humble, amen.

© Tom Zawacki 2006

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing some very wise advice. Humble pie is not my favorite.

    ReplyDelete