Thursday, April 26, 2007

This is a Test... Humility

In my last post I mentioned that we are in a season of testing. The first of these tests is humility. It is impossible for us to fulfill our destinies in Christ without humility. Why? Because 1 Peter 5:5 tells us that God opposes the proud. Think about it, how can we possibly accomplish anything, let alone fulfilling our destinies while being opposed by God? We can’t. My experience has been that it’s hard enough with His grace.

Humility is tested in many different ways here are a few…

Jealousy
Ask yourself these questions:
How do I respond when I get passed over or over looked?
How do I respond when someone else gets what I believe I have a right to?
How do I respond when someone else is blessed and I’m still waiting on my promise?

Selfish Ambition
It’s rampant in the church and it deadly. James 3:16 says: “For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing”. Every evil thing! Why would I want to engage in any activity that makes place for every evil thing? Self ambition is when we are more concerned with building our kingdom (ministry, reputation, church) instead of His Kingdom.

Strong’s concordance defines this word as “partisanship” or “a self-seeking pursuit of political office by unfair means”, in other words a dirty politician. No wonder every evil thing exist where selfish ambition is found!

Self Righteous
Simply put, self righteousness is when we choose being right over love

Pride
Pride is really the root of the other three - jealousy, selfish ambition and self righteousness. A friend of mine says that “Love always looks like it’s losing” Pride wants to win at all cost just like a dirty politician.

The answer is humility, here are a few practical tips:

Stay low
Jesus said in Luke 18:14 “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." I’ve never met anyone who responded poorly to humility be it parents, pastors, employers or any leader. Let others exalt you.

Wait
Wait for God’s timing, 1 Peter 5:6 reminds us to “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time”. Pride runs ahead of God’s timing. Wait for favor, both with God & with man. Favor with God lets you know you have a gift. Favor with man reveals the timing of that gift’s release and the scope of it’s influence. With favor things are VERY easy. Without favor it’s like banging your head against a brick wall

Serve
Have a servant’s heart. In Mark 9:35 Jesus said to his disciples "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all." Serving is an excellent way to practice humility.

Love
It’s the most important of all. St Paul puts it well in 1 Corinthians 13 Love is…
Not jealous (vs.4)
Not prideful (vs. 4)
Unoffendable (vs. 5)
Not selfishly ambitious (vs.5)
Always wins (vs.8)
Love is the secret to passing the humility test

My next post will address the test of loyalty.

© Tom Zawacki 2007
Art Credit Unknown

6 comments:

  1. In your usual excellent style, with grace and love, this post allows the truth to shine through without being overbearing.

    What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:42 PM

    Good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for the next installment. I love how well you put into words your heart behind this message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait I have been waiting but you put it in a light I never thought of thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!!
    Thanks for sharing that....sure got me thinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tom, I am looking forward to test 2. I love this condensed form of your sermons. It is much better than my messy notes.

    ReplyDelete