Friday, November 24, 2006

Twenty-One

There aren’t many rites of passage for American men. In religious circles it’s sometimes marked by baptism or bar mitzvah. In earlier cultures this coming of age was signified by the killing of a wild beast. In more modern times it’s marked by the day a young man receive his driver’s license or the day he leaves home for college. For others still, it’s marked by the passing of time, say a birthday, usually numbers 18 or 21. Today my son, my only son turns 21.

Though my son turns 21 today, he became a man a long time ago. He left home at age 17 to pursue his dream of becoming a film maker. The day I knew my son was a man was the day I saw that he was willing to pay the price to achieve his dreams.

Dream big dreams my son. Aim high and give it all you’ve got. I know you will make it. When I look at you I see a man, a real man, a man of character and integrity. I see a strong man who’s definitely got what it takes. I’m extraordinarily proud of you. I believe in you. I see the gifts and talents you possess and I’m impressed, big time. I admire your passion and I envy your creativity. Yes my son, dream big dreams for you were created to reach them!

Happy Birthday…

I love You…

Dad

© Tom Zawacki 2006

1 comment:

  1. Like father like son. That's a really good thing.
    Love,
    N

    ReplyDelete