Sunday, November 26, 2006

Finishing Well

I’m a big fan of the New York Giants. Yes, please do pray for me. Today was painful. For three quarters the Giants were leading 21 – 0. In the fourth quarter they gave up 21 unanswered points. To add insult to injury, with 23 seconds left Eli Manning threw an interception leading to a game losing field goal.

My Giants didn’t finish well. Grrr….

Have you noticed that it’s much easier to start well than it is to finish well? It’s exciting to start a new endeavor. However, perseverance, dedication and endurance are required to see it to the end. My guess is that most people struggle to finish well, I know I do and obviously so do the New York Giants.

Saint Paul had the right attitude. Read his words from Acts 20…

“But there is another urgency before me now. I feel compelled to go to Jerusalem. I'm completely in the dark about what will happen when I get there. I do know that it won't be any picnic, for the Holy Spirit has let me know repeatedly and clearly that there are hard times and imprisonment ahead. But that matters little. What matters most to me is to finish what God started: the job the Master Jesus gave me of letting everyone I meet know all about this incredibly extravagant generosity of God.” (The Message)

Even though he knew the path ahead was difficult, including hard times and imprisonment, Saint Paul still felt compelled to finish his race. What a man! I wish he was leading the Giants today. Chances are they would have finished well with him at the helm.

Father, help me to finish well. May the fourth quarter of my life be even better than the first quarter. Do whatever it takes to produce in me the dedication, perseverance and endurance I’ll need to lead my team to victory, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment